We do not believe in what most investment representatives tell their clients, which is to “ride it out” or “stay the course” when the going gets tough. We prefer to find shelter when there is a storm. When the sun comes out again is when we look for gains. Giving up time on your life calendar to make up large losses is simply not acceptable.
We use a “Three Bucket” approach to investing designed to provide liquidity, allow for retirement income, protect principal and generate long-term wealth. Each bucket has a specific purpose. The amount that goes in each bucket depends on each client’s personal circumstances, goals and desires.
Bucket 1 — Safety & Flexibility
- Short-term money for planned expenses and emergencies
- Six months to two years of fixed living expenses
- Held at an FDIC insured financial institution
- Sometimes will include cash values in life insurance
Bucket 2 — Income
- Income strategies
- The first money that you will receive income from in retirement
- Equity or fixed income assets depending on interest rates
- Option selling strategies for generating income and reducing risk on the equity portion of portfolio
- Occasional use of annuities to provide a base income for 10–15 years allowing other assets to grow.
- (We are only rarely using annuities for extremely conservative clients in the current low interest rate environment.)
Bucket 3 — Growth
- Long term growth strategies
- The last money you will use in retirement or meant to be inherited
- Generally equity investments
- Some alternative investments
We have several investment strategies designed to fit multiple investors needs. More often than not, we prefer to hold generous amounts in Bucket 1 so that Buckets 2 and 3 can be used to attain higher returns.
Contact us to put together a lifetime investment plan that will provide you with safety, growth, income and freedom.
There can be no assurance that any strategy will be successful in achieving its stated goals. All investments have a potential for loss of principal. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.